United States Army Warrant Officers Association
Fort Lowell - Apache Chapter
Meeting Minutes –
10 September 2007
Meeting called to order at 1802 hours by President, CW2R Curtis, with members saluting the flag during the Pledge of Allegiance. The President declared a quorum present. The meeting was held at Cattletown Restaurant.
Secretary’s Report: CW3R Michael Turner
The minutes of the August 2007 meeting were presented previously to the members electronically. A motion was made by CW4R Lindamood to accept the minutes as published and seconded by CW2R Cogut. The motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report: CW5R Vincent Baiocchetti
As of August 31, 2007
Savings Account - $ 5.06
Checking Account $ 4,832.72
A motion was made by CW3R Huggins to accept the Treasurer's Report subject to audit and seconded by CW4R Ozier. The motion passed.
President's Report: CW2R John Curtis
Information was shared that was received through the Western Region Director from the Gold Rush Chapter concerning an effort to establish a memorial to honor those soldiers of the California National Guard that have been killed in support of the War on Terror.
Vice President's Report: WO1 Craig Dowdney - No report.
1. Chapter Members' Shirts: Description of newly adopted chapter shirt was provided. Discussion ensued. CW5R Baiocchetti made a motion that the chapter pay one-half of the cost for every member and spouse who submitted their initial (one each) shirt order. This benefit would not pertain to those who had previously received the yellow/gold shirts ordered through the chapter. CW3R Huggins seconded this motion. The motion passed. Chapter members were encouraged to reply to WO1 Ahrens' e-mail with quantity and choice of embroidered name(s) as soon as possible.
2. Fund raising through flower deliveries: Thanks to contact by Joy Ozier, Inglis Florist will accept our drivers for their peak holiday deliveries. The delivery dates may include Christmas, New Years, Valentines, Mother's Day and/or Easter. Inglis Florist will compensate the driver $4.50 for each completed delivery. A suggestion was made that a percentage of the compensations be made available to the driver in partial compensation for fuel; the remaining amount would become chapter income. A discussion ensued surrounding the chapter's tax exempt status as a not-for-profit versus a non-profit 501(c) organization with personal tax ramifications to drivers. CW2R Curtis will provide clarification at the October meeting.
3. Website suggestions: CW2R Curtis suggested adding the links to chapter members' unit websites, relevant unit support sites or chapter member affiliated veteran organizations to the Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter website for the convenience of members and their family. The purpose would be to encourage use of our website as a home reference.
4. AMM 2009 Proposal: CW5R Baiocchetti elaborated on his communication with the Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau and immediate receipt of various hotel and resort proposals. The individual proposals will be evaluated and/or eliminated based on National's criteria.
5. Coin discussion tabled.
1. Nominations for one year terms for President and Vice President were opened and will remain open into the October meeting. CW5R Baiocchetti nominated CW2R Curtis for President. The Treasurer and Secretary are appointed by the President and, CW5R Baiocchetti and CW3R Turner have agreed to continue with those duties, respectively, for another year. The election will take place at the October meeting.
2. Veterans' Day activities: (a.) The downtown Veterans' Day Parade was mentioned. There is no interest in marching at this time. (b.) The Massing of the Colors organized by the Militiary Order of the World Wars was suggested by several members. Our National and Chapter Colors will be carried by the Flowing Wells HS JROTC cadets. Last year's program was spectacular and yet very solemn and respectful. It will be held on Sunday, November 11th at 1400 hours at the Tucson Women's Club, 6245 E Bellevue.
3. Flowing Wells JROTC Drill Competition: Expected to be held on a Saturday in the middle of December. Volunteer judges and support staff are solicited. The judges must be in military uniform. The details of the event will be provided at a later date.
4. Christmas Party: The dates and Locations were solicited with no firm offers given. The President requested that members check their calendars. The decision and or discussion were tabled for the next monthly meeting.
For the Good of the Order:
CW4R Ozier mentioned that the Tucson Chapter of the Military Officer Association of America (formerly the Retired Officer Association) is celebrating their 50th Anniversary at the Hilton East on October 27th at 1800 hours. The cost is $40 per person. They have invited Admiral Ryan, National President, to speak at the event. Admiral Ryan biography
CW3R Lindamood made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; seconded by CW4R Ozier and passed by the members present at 1902 hours.
The next meeting of the Chapter will be held on October 8, 2007, 1800 hours at Michelangelo’s Ristorante Italiano, 420 W. Magee Road. Map to Michelangelo’s
CW2R John Curtis
Ft. Lowell-Apache Chapter, USAWOA
CW3R Michael Turner
Ft. Lowell-Apache Chapter, USAWOA