United States Army Warrant Officers Association
Fort Lowell - Apache Chapter
Meeting Minutes –
14 February 2011
Meeting called to order: at 1804 hours with President CW2R Lance Dickinson leading the Pledge of Allegiance. The President declared a quorum present. The meeting was held at Cody’s Beef and Beans.
Secretary's Report: CW3R Michael Turner
The minutes of the January 2011 meeting was presented previously to all members electronically. Motion made by CW4R Harold Lindamood to accept minutes as published, seconded by CW3R Gary Huggins. The motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report, as of 31 January 2011: CW4R Harold Lindamood
Funds in the Checking Account:
Opening Balance 1 January 2011 $5188.37
Ending Balance 31October 2010 $5139.72
A motion was made by CW4R Bob Ozier to accept the Treasurer’s Report, subject to audit, and seconded by CW5R Vincent Baiocchetti. The motion passed.
President's Report: CW2R Lance Dickinson
Preparation for our 501(C)x Application: CW2R Lance Dickinson continues to work with Maj(R) Robert DeWitt and CW3R Ron James of the Flowing Wells JROTC unit to process the request for IRS 501(C)x designation for the chapter.
Vice-President's Report: CW2R John Curtis
· We have a total of 35 members, with 9 Life Members
· The USAWOA has introduced a “Painless” membership renewal and profile update process that includes membership renewal, unit of assignment change and personal information changes via the new USAWOA Interactive Portal at https://usawoa.net. The details are in the December, January and February Newsliners.
Missing in America Project:
· 7 names were submitted to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) for verification in 1 October 2010.
o 1 name had a social security number belonging to a different person.
o Two names had no military records.
o Four names are being verified by Joe Larson, Southern Arizona Veterans Memorial Cemetery (SAVMC). When the names are verified, the Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter is responsible to coordinate the Honors Ceremony and burial.
· A request for legislative assistance was submitted to State Senator Al Melvin, State Representatives Vic Williams and Terri Proud (all from Arizona Legislative District 26). We were advised during a conversation with Representative Williams that we need to spend a day in Phoenix with the legislators and talk to legal counsel.
· An introductory meeting has been set for Thursday, 17 February 2011, with Yolanda Kennedy, the Pima county Public Fiduciary. She is responsible for Indigent processing directly from the county coroner. She has received a Letter of Introduction from MIAP Ex Directory Fred Salanti, explaining the MIAP mission and providing local contact information. She is hoping to review the records of past internments and, in the future, screen indigents for possible veteran status.
IRS Not For Profit (NFP) Request: See the President’s Report.
10th Annual Warrant Officer Golf Tournament: Letters requesting sponsorship donations were mailed out on 17 February 2011. So far, we have received back 16 affirmative responses, which is a very good response.
CW3R Joe Gill’s commemorative brick request at the Southern Arizona Memorial Cemetery has been approved. The President directed that $100 be allocated from the Treasury to purchase the brick in Joe’s name.
Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter, USAWOA, ROTC Medal: CW3R Ron James reported the final approvals from the Cadet Command are pending for the Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter, USAWOA, ROTC Medal. In preparation for the increased demand for medals this Spring after Cadet Command posts the medal on their website as approved for wear, CW3R Ron James requested that the Chapter purchase 100 of each medal for a total of 400 medals. A motion was made by CW3 Ron James to approve the expenditure of the $2600 for the medals. The motion was seconded by CW4R Harold Lindamood. During the discussion, an amendment was offered my CW3R Michael Turner to increase the not to exceed amount to $3000 to cover possible quantity increases due to quantity discounts. CW3R Art Schmid officially made the motion, it was seconded by CW4R Harold Lindamood, and the motion passed.
Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter, USAWOA, ROTC Medals awarded by the Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter: A motion was made by CW5R Vincent Baiocchetti to approve the following awards to Tucson area JROTC schools: Flowing Wells High School, 4 medals; Rio Rico High School, 4 medals; Cholla High School, 4 medals. The motion was seconded by CW4R Harold Lindamood and the motion was passed.
New Chapter Flag Staffs: CW2R John Curtis recommended that the Chapter purchase new flag staffs because our flag staffs are the shortest of all organizations that we have participated with in local activities. He also recommended that we purchase new bases and eagle tops. The discussion was tabled for a later date.
Chapter Chaplain: CW4R Robert Ozier has been appointed as Chapter Chaplain by President CW2R Lance Dickinson.
Chapter Public Affairs Officer: CW5R Vincent Baiocchetti has been appointed as Chapter Chaplain by President CW2R Lance Dickinson.
For The Good of the Order: .
Chapter Member Birthdays / Anniversary’s: CW4R Harold and Betty Lindamood.
There being no further business, CW3R Gary Huggins made a motion that the meeting be adjourned, seconded by CW3R Ron James. The motion passed at 1907 hours.
The next meeting of the Fort Lowell-Apache Chapter of the USAWOA will be held at the Metropolitan Grill American Kitchen on Monday, 14 Mar 2011.
CW2R Lance Dickinson
CW2R John Curtis
CW3R Michael Turner
CW4R Harold Lindamood
CW5R Vincent Baiocchetti
CW3R Ed Blankshen
CW2R Ted Cogut
CW3R Gary Huggins
CW3R Ron James
CW4R Robert Ozier
CW3R Art Schmid
Recorded and Submitted by:
CW3R Michael Turner